Monday, July 9, 2007

Brooklyn Bridge Park Beach

It's hot in New York and what better way to cool down than the beach.

After taking the Series 7 exam (5 hours) I decided I needed to cool down. I picked up a $4 bathing suit (it is hideous) and hopped on the express 2 (or 3) train to Borough Hall in Brooklyn. To get to the "beach," find Joralemon street and walk towards the water until you see a wooden sign that says beach. Follow that sign and you'll soon find the floating pool and Brooklyn Bridge park beach. I got there around 3:30 and had to wait until 4:00 to get a wristband, then until 5:00 to actually swim. Bring a book.

Poolside is a bit of chaos, but it adds to the atmosphere and there is a lap lane if you are serious about swimming. The views are unsurpassed and plenty of room to lie out and enjoy the sun. Around the beach, there is a Harry's of Water Taxi beach fame selling hot dogs and soy dogs. There is also ice cream, lots of picnic tables, chairs for rent, volleyball and soccer.

I'd imagine you'd be crazy to try and go here on the weekend, but if you find yourself with a couple hours on a weekday morning of afternoon, I'd definitely check it out. If for nothing else, I imagine this is one of the best views of Manhattan.

No comments: