Monday, August 27, 2007

The Jamaican Dutchy

Where? 51st and 7th street cart

My first job was in a kitchen with a crew of Jamaicans. It was also my first experience with Jerk Chicken. Though every Jamaican's marinade is different, some of the main (there are many) ingredients are olive oil, soy sauce, thyme, cayenne, all spice, sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, etc. It all adds up to some of the more flavorful and spicy chicken around.

I had to give the Dutchy a chance and for the most part it delivered. The chicken was definitely the highlight; the rice and veggies were quite bland. I got the large and had it for two lunches. Not bad for $9. Luckily, I seem to have caught it early enough that there was not a huge line.

Definitely will go back, but won't wait in line for 30 minutes (even if there is a flat screen TV to entertain).

No comments: